*DUE 10/30/19 @5 PM*
Please review the following descriptions of advocacy and the assignment below to prepare for the topic of Caring & Advocacy/Nonviolence.
Advocacy has been described as:
1) offering support for, backing of, promotion of, championing for….
2) the profession or work of a legal advocate. Advocacy is defined as any action that speaks in favor of, recommends, argues for a cause, supports or defends, or pleads on behalf of others. (source- Alliance for Justice).
• As you may recall from a previous class, a description of caregiving from Suzanne Gordon in particular the last words of her statement…..need to reconcile caring with the struggle for rights and social justice.
Assignment- PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING
1) Select a person from history or in current public life whose life’s work exemplifies the concept of advocacy through nonviolent methods. Please do not select MLK or Gandhi since we have discussed the very fine contributions of these two men in previous classes.
Through research ( include source) write a description explaining how advocacy is demonstrated by this individual. What inspired you to select this person?
2) Think about your own personal life and write a reflection/description of how you were an advocate for another person OR someone else advocated for you. Explain the impact that this advocacy experience had on you. Focus on personal life rather than professional life.
*POST MUST BE AT LEAST 165 WORDS TO RECIEVE FULL CREDIT*