Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 4
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, respond to one of the following options:
- Define Theravada and Mahayana. Describe the Arhat and the Bodhisattva. Explain how each achieves the goal of nirvana. Examine how they relate to some of the key concepts/teachings (e.g., the Four Noble Truths, the three marks of reality).
- Many scholars feel that “suffering” may be a misleading translation of the word dukkha. Why might the term suffering be misleading? What might be a better translation? What was the Buddha trying to explain in his commentary on dukkha?
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Respond to a peer who chose an option different from the one you chose. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
- Minimum of 3 posts
- Initial Post Length: 200-300 words
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references