MAT144 Week 1 Discussion 1 & 2
Choose one country that you might visit during your mission trip for the course project. Select a duration for your trip between two and six weeks, and then choose a number of participants between 5 and 10 people. Suppose one goal of your group is to speak to every adult citizen in the country. How many citizens must each missionary need to talk to per day, per hour, and per second to speak to every adult citizen in that country? Is that goal reasonable?
A deductive argument is valid if the conclusion necessarily follows from the premises. It is sound if it is valid and the premises are true.
Pick three of the following arguments and clearly explain why each argument is or is not valid or sound.
- 1. No human lives in outer space. Susie lives in outer space. Thus, Susie is not human.
- 2. All birds can fly. Ostriches are birds. Therefore, ostriches can fly.
- 3. All jobs are easy. Walking is not a job. Hence, walking is not easy.
- 4. When it rains, it snows. It is snowing. Therefore, it is raining.
- 5. No dog is a cat. Billy is a cat. Thus, Billy is not a dog.
- 6. If someone is a medical doctor, they are smart. Dr. Oz is a medical doctor. So, Dr. Oz is smart.
- 7. Whichever candidate receives the greatest share of the popular vote is elected President of the United States. Al Gore received more votes than George Bush. Therefore, Al Gore was elected President of the United States.