THIS DOCUMENT INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING SECTIONS:
- Overview (page 1)
- Purpose of Assignment (page 1)
- Learn About Core Values (page 1)
- Creating a Personal Motto (page 1)
- Short Essay Guidelines (page 2)
- Case Studies and Prompts (pages 2-5)
- Short Essay Format Requirements (page 5)
- Grading Rubric (page 6)
- Ethical Decision-Making App (page 7)
OVERVIEW: Whether we are consciously aware of it or not, we all have a set of personal values that influence our decision-making process. The ability to identify and examine our values and beliefs makes it possible for us to choose more effectively when confronted with decisions about the life we want to live. Your assignment is to create a personal motto based on your core values and beliefs.The purpose of the short essay is to examine how your personal motto holistically applies to decision-making in your academic, personal, and professional life. You will also determine possible consequences of choices made based on your personal values and beliefs.
PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT: The purpose of this assignment is to create a personal motto and apply it to ethical dilemmas. Specifically, you will:
- Examine your core values and their origin.
- Identify and explain your personal motto for life—your motto is your life-structured guidelines based on your core values (kindness, faith, integrity, fairness, perseverance, balance, respect, achievement, etc.) and core beliefs.
- State your position on an ethical issue and identify the consequences of the choice(s).
LEARN ABOUT CORE VALUES: Open and read the document titled “Values Exercise.” Follow the guidelines given to determine your top five values. If you do not have enough groupings to have five top values, determine at least your top three values.
CREATING A PERSONAL MOTTO: A personal motto is life-structure guidelines based on our core values and beliefs. We can use this to help us guide our words and actions. After you have identified your top three to five core values, create a short sentence or phrase that symbolizes your beliefs and how you would like to live your life.
SHORT ESSAY GUIDELINES: Follow the steps below when composing your responses:
- Read and complete the Values Inventory. Determine your top three to five core values.
- Please select ONE of the following ethical case studies below and respond to each question accompanying your selected dilemma in a paragraph format.
- Save responses in a Word document.