Mental Health Care Policy Selection
Type of Bill
- This bill that will be explored for this class is The Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2020.
- This is a federal bill.
- It was introduced in the 116th Congress (H.R. 1109-Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2020).
Bill Number (H.R. # Or S.#), Title, Purpose, Intended Group/Population, And Outcome
- The bill number for The Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2020 is H.R. 1109.
- The bill targets students.
- The bill hopes to make changes to the Public Health Services Act.
- It also hopes to extend and revise projects pertaining to children in regard to access to mental health services offered in schools.
- It was introduced to the House on 2/08/2019.
- After it was passed in the House, Senate received the bill on 9/30/ 2020.
- It was read twice in the Senate.
- Senate did not pass the bill (H.R. 1109-Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2020).
The outcome of the bill is “To amend the Public Health Service Act to revise and extent projects relating to children and to provide access to school-based comprehensive mental health programs” (H.R. 1109-Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2020, p. 1).
The Bill’s Main Legislative Sponsors
The bill was sponsored by Representative Napolitano Grace F (H.R. 1109-Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2020).
Reason for Selection
- I am very passionate about mental health.
- Mental health issues are very common in America.
- The problem is also very prevalent among young people, including students,
- This is evidenced by the increase in school shootings over the recent past, some of which are perpetrated by students.
- The current pandemic has had severe effects on the mental welfare of many people, including students.
- A bill targeting students in learning institutions is very crucial, especially at the current times.
H.R. 1109-Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2020. https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1109/text