Refer to the case example of Ashley in the Lander article on the NIH website for the following discussion. What would you expect to be difficult for Ashley in the family setting with her father? How would you help her to understand and cope with her motherâ€s addiction? What approach would you take in work with Ashley, her father, and younger brother? What would be your response to Ashleyâ€s statement, â€œIf only I take really good care of her, maybe she’ll be able to take care of me someday”?
Outline your understanding of the family system issues in Ashleyâ€s family.
400 Words APA format
Readings: Wormer, K. & Davis, D. (2018). Addiction treatment: a strengths perspective. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning. ISBN-13: 978-1305943308
- Gillette, R. Substance Abuse, Codependency, & Family Systems Across Generations: The Bowen System and the Alcoholic/Addict Family. Powerpoint, 62 slides.
- Smith, D.C. & Hall, J.A. (2008). Strengths-oriented family therapy for adolescents with substance abuse problems. Social Work, 53(2), 185-188.
- Moe, J., Johnson, J. L., & Wade, W. (2007). Resilience in children of substance users: In their own words. Substance Use & Misuse, 42(2-3), 381-398.
- Strine, T. W., Dube, S. R., Edwards, V. J., Prehn, A. W., Rasmussen, S., Wagenfeld, M.. . Croft, J. B. (2012). Associations between adverse childhood experiences, psychological distress, and adult alcohol problems. American Journal of Health Behavior, 36(3), 408-423.
- Conners, N. A., Bradley, R. H., Whiteside Mansell, L., Liu, J. Y., Roberts, T. J., Burgdorf, K., & Herrell, J. M. (2004). Children of mothers with serious substance abuse problems: An accumulation of risks. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 30(1), 85-100.
- NIH Article: Lander, L., Howsare, J., & Byrne, M. (2013). The Impact of Substance Use Disorders on Families and Children: From Theory to Practice. Social Work in Public Health, 28(0), 194â€“205.
- Fletcher, K. & MacIntosh, H. (2018). Emotionally-focused therapy in the context of addictions: a case study. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families, 26(3), 330-340.
- Dawn Farm Education Series: Addiction and Families Video (Time 1 hr, 1 min) â€“ Transcript
- SAMHSA Material: Developing a Coordinated Response to Families Affected by Substance Use Disorders (Time 1 h 12:10 mins, CC available)
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post understanding substance addiction from a social work perspective appeared first on Custom Nursing Help.